Childlike, The Disposition To Inherit Heaven
Reflection on the Gospel of the Saturday In The Twenty-Sixth Week In Ordinary Time
Jesus came into this world to establish God’s kingdom. Jesus prepared his disciples and the people to enter this Kingdom of God. While teaching his disciples to prayer, he taught them to say “thy kingdom come” and in another place he said “ seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness”. In today’s passage Jesus teaches us what our disposition should be to be able to enter God’s Kingdom; i.e. he is telling us that we need to be childlike, because a child is sincere, innocent and pure in heart, mind and soul. in Leviticus 11:45 the Lord says, “you shall be holy, for I am holy”, anything defiled or profane cannot enter God’s Kingdom, nor his presence. To be greatest in God’s Kingdom then he/she has to be holy like Jesus and Mary.
In today’s world to live a holy life is a challenge faced by all the age groups due to widespread unholiness, the evil all over, and lack of holy contemporary living. Let us see how to safeguard our own holiness in the unholiness around us.
- Keep your heart and mind away from evil thoughts and evil company
- Keep your heart and mind with all good thoughts and ideas, which belong to God
- Read the lives of saints and make them your role models
- Move away from unholy places, things and people
- Keep God’s commandment in your heart and reflect on them all the time.
- Be committed to the teaching of the Church.
- Avoid overindulging in social media or and self indulgent entertainment.
- Pray to the Holy Spirit to give you a discerning spirit and self-control.
- Fast and pray even as the Lord leads you.
- Make the Word of God your home, meditate daily on it.
When we take these steps to grow in holiness, the Lord will grant us His grace to overcome our weakness and send his angels to protect us keep us away from everything unholy. Let’s seek the face of the Lord with confidence and be fill by his grace and become beacons holy, for the world to see and emulate.