Reflection on the Gospel of the Tuesday
After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go.
- This is a reference to Moses’ appointment of the 72 elders to judge over Israel, under himself.
- In the same context, two-by-two, brings the idea to my mind of the 12 spies sent to scout the promised land, by Moses.
- Jesus is definitely preparing and training his disciples for ministry.
- And the thought is clear, the 12 Apostles are not the only ones to receive power and authority
- But the 12 are set apart for a special function within the future Jesus Community.
- They will officiate as the New Priesthood.
And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.
- Indeed the task to preach, teach and disciple the world is great…
- At first there were only these 72,
- wait on God, Jesus says, ask Him to provide, for how He wishes to give the Holy Spirit to those who ask for it.
- ask and receive.
Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.
- Go, do not be afraid…
- the way ahead is filled with difficulties and death
- But God is with, and within you.
- The waters will part, at His presence in you, just like the Jordan stopped its flow, when the priests entered it, with the Ark of the Covenant.
- Similarly, do not worry about foul experiences, know your Father is with You.
Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road.
- Just as the Lord God, lead the Israelite people into the Desert and provided for them
- Know your God will provide for you.
- Be resolute, and single-minded to the extent of not getting distracted
- You are the bearer of God’s Presence, go and proclaim it to all.
Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house!’
- Give God’s presence which is in you, to the house that welcomes you
- Let it reside there and flower.
And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you.
- Indeed, God’s presence will remain and flourish and bless the house.
- but if a foolish person lives in the house.
- he will seek to push God out of it.
- and there will be no peace there, because God will not be there.
And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages.
- The welcoming house, is that which God has provided for you
- just as the Ark remained in Obed-edom’s house for a while, when David was taking it to Jerusalem, and Obed-edom’s house was blessed.
Do not go from house to house.
- House hopping implies un-graciousness to the hospitality extended by the First House, which took them in.
- As also a distrust, in God’s provision.
Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you.
Heal the sick in it and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’
- You are the bearer’s of God’s Peace,
- give/share it with everyone.
- You are establishing the Kingdom, in the heart of every men.