Almsgiving and Prayer
In this passage Jesus, teaches us the correct way to practice the three important traditions of Christian life i.e.: Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving.
- Importance of personal prayer.
- Having intimacy with Abba.
- A deep communion with the Father in faith and love.
- Worshipping Abba with a pure heart.
- Express inner repentance
- Allow God’s mercy and grace to cleanse you (Ps 51:10-12) create in me …
- Anointing and washing are outward signs of inner joy of returning back to the Father
- We must share our gifts with others out of love and not out of compulsion
- (Matthew 24:40) Truly, I say to you, as you did it to the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.
Jesus tells us not to imitate the scribes and Pharisees, who practised these traditions with false piety and wrong motives. They only practices these to be seen and be praised by men. Since this is their desire, this desire is met when others do praise them. now there is nothing more that can be given to them by way of a award.