The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Reflection on the Gospel of the Saturday
In The Third Week In Lent
In the presence of God all human beings are unique and precious. Every one of us are created for a special purpose. Our prime duty is to love our God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. Secondly, love our neighbor as we love ourselves. By doing this the entire 10 commandments are covered by living these 2 commandments. God choose the Hebrew people out the world and taught them the value of life and faith. Therefore by effect the Jewish people were responsible to pass on what they learnt from God to their gentile neighbours. Through the parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector, Jesus is highlighting for us the attitude of the chosen Jewish people and their gentile neighbours. Let’s us reflect on the quality required to stand before God.
To achieve our goal or target in our life we put extra efforts to follow a certain code of conduct and discipline and develop skills so that we can achieve our goal. To sustain in the market in all the circumstances we keep certain policies, rules and regulations and continue the same throughout our lifetime. Similarly, to stand before God we require a few qualities, so that God can hear our prayers
- Humbleness: whenever you come in to the presence of God, give praise and glory to God for all the great deeds the Lord has done through you. Remove your crown of pride and boasting of yourself and keep it at the feet of the Lord. As we have received everything from Him and it is right to give back everything to Him. So all praise and glory needs to be His forever and ever.
- Love: Loving God with all our heart , mind, soul and strength is ease and also to do pastoral activity in the parish. Sometime it is ease to become famous in society or at the work place, but it is difficult to accept our own brothers and sister as they are and to love them. Do not play a dual role in the presence of God, as He knows us before we were born and came into this world.
- Patience: During persecution, suffering and testing times, be patience in the presence of God, so that He will fight for you and richly reward your patience.
- Discerning Spirit : Do not take any decision in a hurry and come up with your own plan of action for your life and then ask God to bless it. Instead, wait in the presence of God and get the perfect plan and guidance from God.
- Gratitude: Always show your gratitude towards God and to the people around you, even when things go wrong with you as everything happening is for a purpose, to perfect your, and is in your life because God has let it come your way to fashion you in His image. God is in complete control of your life, and is capable to take care of you and provide for you richly.
In this season of lent, let’s spend some time in the presence of God and ask Him to fill us with His power and enable us signs of his peace, love and mercy in this world.